About this blog

With the generous help of my grandma, I am spending this spring and summer learning how to garden
by plunging in headfirst. This blog is a narrative of my adventures.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Seeds and Strawberry Containers

I walked to Grandma's today with four strawberry containers and my brand new pair of gardening gloves. This was our first day of actual work on the garden. After rinsing the strawberry containers with a mild bleach solution to kill fungus and plugging in the heating mat, we filled the containers with seed mix (not really soil--mostly peat and nutrients and such) and planted. I filled six containers with pepper and eggplant seeds, and these will sit in the greenhouse until they germinate.

The garden itself needs to be gone over with a rototiller twice before we can plant the early crops like peas and lettuce. I wanted to spade it by hand myself but we looked at it today and there's just no way. If there weren't a fence there it would just look like a continuation of the prairie. We also scared up a couple of rabbits who were indignant that we were trespassing on their little enclosure.

I'm going to get somebody with a rototiller in there ASAP and then we can really get going in earnest. Until then, it's sitting around and waiting until my little peppers and eggplants do their thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment