About this blog

With the generous help of my grandma, I am spending this spring and summer learning how to garden
by plunging in headfirst. This blog is a narrative of my adventures.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Summer Project

Waiting to hear back about job applications gets tiresome. Worse is going to bed at night without a goal in mind for the next day. Being only partially employed, I needed to find an inexpensive way to make myself productive. So I decided to resurrect my grandma's vegetable garden, having in mind the utopian ideal of spending oodles of time outdoors, keeping myself busy through the summer, and feeding not only myself but also my friends and family off the fruits of my labors.

Grandma has a portion of her backyard, which is mostly planted as tallgrass prairie, fenced off as a vegetable garden but hasn't planted it for several years. The prairie plants and the rabbits have claimed it as their own, and now I'm going to take it back.

I have one major limitation, however: my gardening experience is limited to planting a few annuals every year and occasionally growing some peppers and tomatoes in pots on the patio. I'm not quite clueless, but the clues I have are minimal.

Fortunately I have my grandma to tell me what to do, so I'm less likely to completely mess everything up. Nonetheless, this spring and summer will be a challenge and a learning experience. I hope to come away with at least a few edible rewards, and I also hope that you, my readers, will find some pleasure in following my garden, and perhaps you will learn along with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment