About this blog

With the generous help of my grandma, I am spending this spring and summer learning how to garden
by plunging in headfirst. This blog is a narrative of my adventures.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lots of Planting

The new plants (and some thistle)
Yesterday I planted cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and onions. It was a lot of fun to get into the routine of hoe, dig, plant, mark, repeat. Everything looks good but the cabbage family plants need to be sprayed with a repellant for the cabbage butterfly (don't freak out, it's an environmentally friendly spray that's pest specific). I looked at a garden store and two hardware stores today and couldn't find it, so that was annoying. I'll try Bachman's tomorrow.

Aside from not being sprayed I think everything went well with the planting. The garden is really starting to shape up. And now my rows are marked! After all the rain we've had, though, Grandma says the peas are underwater, so I hope that doesn't last too long. We're a far cry from where we were a month ago when we were praying for a few drops of rain.
 
I couldn't resist another pea picture. They're just so cute!
This shows how tiny the lettuce is.
The whole garden (notice the row markers)
I promised you lots of pictures, so here they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment