About this blog

With the generous help of my grandma, I am spending this spring and summer learning how to garden
by plunging in headfirst. This blog is a narrative of my adventures.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Preparing the Upper Garden

I don't know if I've made this clear in previous posts, but I'm really working with two gardens: the fenced-in plot where the lettuce, spinach and peas are supposedly growing (though there's no sign of them yet) and a smaller plot at the top of the hill in the middle of some annual flowers, herbs, and ornamental trees. The peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes will go in the upper garden because Grandma has always planted them there and they seem to like it. I hope to get some carrots in here as well before too long.

The newly spaded upper garden.
Today I got to do some of the spading I had been hoping for. It wasn't feasible for me to tackle the lower garden since the prairie had overtaken it so thoroughly, but the top of the hill was in good enough shape for me to spade by hand. I turned the soil in preparation for the seedlings which are still growing in the greenhouse.

Speaking of those seedlings, I got them all ready for transplantation too. Grandma showed me how that's done, the most important part being that one should always handle a seedling by the cotyledon (the primary leaf), never by the stem. And she uses a chopstick to finagle the roots out until it comes up.

We didn't do any transplanting yet because most of the seedlings aren't quite ready. But I filled containers with Pro-mix® and put them in a water-filled tray so they're set to go as soon as the seedlings are.

No comments:

Post a Comment